Find out everything you didn't know about patents
In the past decade, advances in synthetic biology and genetic engineering have created breakthroughs in fermentation-based manufacturing processes using advanced food ingredients and bio-manufactured elements; however, to make unique supplements and nutraceuticals so that other brands don’t copy your formulas, you need to acquire a patent, but what is that and how does it serve your business?
What are patents?
It is an exclusive right granted by a state for the protection of an invention and it provides all the rights to use and exploit your creation and prevent third parties or companies from using it without your consent, in case someone wants to use your formula, but whoever has the patent can sell it, assign the rights or lend the license.
What characteristics must a product have in order to apply for a patent?
- It must be a novelty, i.e., there is no other like it in the world.
- Must demonstrate inventiveness, i.e., it must solve a technical problem and this solution cannot be obvious to an expert in the field.
- Industrial application for its production, its manufacture must involve that it is produced from a branch of economic activity.
What does it take to get a patent?
This type of procedure can be done individually or by hiring a person or company to help you, but in either situation you need to have this information ready:
- Define what you want is a patent
- Name your invention
- Mention if your invention has been presented anywhere in the world or has been previously disclosed
- Select whether it is by an individual or by a legal entity
- Point out the specifications of your product, which you can do from a PDF file with description, summary or drawings
- Finish basic data capture
- Pay your application
How long does it take approximately to respond to a patent application?
Although the time varies according to the product, normally the minimum is three months and the maximum usually takes between six and eighteen months.
How long is a patent valid?
Whether the patent application has been filed by an individual or legal entity, the duration can be 5, 15 or 20 years after it has been accepted and can be renewed.
So, how much do patents cost?
Since several factors are involved, there is no fixed figure, as this will vary according to the specifications of your creation, although it is important to mention that the minimum price is $130.
How can HH Processors help you to obtain a patent for your products?
HH Processors is a company with more than 15 years of experience in the manufacture of proprietary formulas and nutraceuticals, in addition to other services for your business, since with them you can hire:
- Packing and bottling
So that you and your brand will benefit, because in addition to having the certainty that the product will be created according to your specifications, they will also be made with high quality natural elements, cutting-edge technology and with GMP certification, animal cruelty-free, gluten-free and vegan.